Thursday, December 10, 2009

Easy Entertaining

So this year for Christmas, it has been decided that the fam will all descend on Columbia so that my oldest sister can bring her dogs and Matt can actually participate in the holiday (retail prevents us from traveling much around holidays). So we will have 5 adults and 3 dogs (ok one is a poodle and doesn't count) in our 2-bedroom apartment. With that, and my small kitchen in mind, I started thinking of easy recipes and what I could do ahead of time so I can relax and enjoy my family.

So below I have a couple of easy (and cheap) dessert recipes.

Cheesecake:

1 ready-made graham cracker crust
1 brick of cream cheese
1 container of cool whip
2/3 cup sugar
1 tsp. vanilla

Mix together cream cheese, cool whip, sugar and vanilla. Pour into the crust. Let it chill for at least 2 hours.

To make it festive: crush up mint candies and fold them in, or mint and chocolate chips. Add additional cool whip on top and then dust with additional mint. Or use Oreos! Or top the whole thing with a can of pie filling. The options are endless.

Key Lime Pie:

1 ready made graham cracker pie crust
1/2 cup key lime juice
1 can condensed milk (do not use fat-free, it won't set up)
1 container of cool whip

Beat the juice and milk really well; fold in cool whip and pour into crust. Let chill for at least 2 hours.

Next I may tackle easy breakfasts...or soups...I know you are on the edge of your seat now!

2 comments:

  1. These are great! I don't think I will beat in the graham cracker crust on the cheesecake next time. It made it a little gritty. I look forward to breakfast though and best of luck with the family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry! I meant for just the cream cheese, sugar and vanilla to be beaten together and then you pour the filling into the ready-made crust. I'll change that.

    ReplyDelete