Thursday, February 11, 2010

Last Unit - Social Networking

As our NetTrek adventures come to a close, I'm a little sad. I have definitely learned a lot and Brandy has made that very easy with all her hard work in monitoring and reporting our own progress to us. NetTrek has been very educational and has forced many of us to explore the web in ways we other wise wouldn't. So Brandy, thanks for all your efforts and help!

I first went through and looked at the library pages on facebook and was amazed at how many of them also had twitter and flickr accounts. I'm not sure why I was so surprised, since DBRL tweets (twitters? has twote? haha j/k) but it was eye-opening to see other libraries reaching out to their patrons and students in such an advanced way. I love that libraries across the continent are keeping up with technology and using it well.

Both librarian articles on social networking mentioned not only using sites, but using them well. Not just having a facebook page to be "cool" but to actually reach out to their patrons and improve their services to the community. In theory it is a great idea, but maintaining the page and continuing to add to it is certainly a must, especially with the target audience in mind.

ps - anyone else notice that the hot topic on twitter is taylor lautner's birthday?!?

1 comment:

  1. Girl you crack me up and make me blush all at the same time!

    ReplyDelete